Taste of Caribe Royale – French Dessert with a Florida Flair: Orange Crème Brûlée
Caribe Royale Orlando’s Executive Pastry Chef, Joshua Cain, is known for his creative takes on classic desserts. He adds a Florida twist to the beloved French dessert, Crème Brûlée, in this edition of Taste of Caribe Royale.
If you feel intimidated by this elegant dessert, don’t be! In our video, Chef Joshua shows how to zest an orange and use a whole vanilla bean to infuse your custard with flavor. What makes Crème Brûlée special is its crunchy caramelized topping, and you’ll learn how to use a torch to get the topping just perfect. So, round up your ramekins and get ready to impress your friends or family with this incredible dessert!
Orange Crème Brûlée | 4 servings
- 4 qt. Heavy Cream
- 1 1/3 cups of Granulated Sugar
- 3 Vanilla Beans (scraped)
- 3 Blood Oranges (zested)
- 6 Egg Yolks
- Small pot
- Mixing bowl
- Wire whisk
- Fine mesh strainer
- Rubber spatula
- Paring knife
- 4 Ramekin dishes
- Lightly beat the Egg Yolks in a mixing bowl.
- Heat 3 quarts of Heavy Cream, Vanilla Bean and Sugar until dissolved.
- Add Orange Zest and let steep for 15 minutes. Cover top of pot with plastic wrap.
- Strain mixture and pour over yolks, then mix together.
- Place in ramekin dishes and bake in a water bath at 300°F until set.
- Once fully baked the center will be slightly jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and carefully dispose of the water.
- Chill the custards overnight and then sprinkle them with sugar on top and burn the topping with the torch.
- Whip 1 quart of Heavy Cream to medium peaks for topping.
- Garnish with Sliced Oranges and Whipped Cream, and serve.